Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Dealing with cultural differences

Dealing with cultural differences is not an easy thing. I was raised in a conservative society where people around me have their own standard and cultural values very different from the Western world. When I was in the Philippines, I am highly respected by the kids especially my students. Every time they will see me, they will bow their heads as a sign of respect and say their greetings like, good morning ma'am, good afternoon or good evening. It was a shocking experience for me when I arrived in the US where children just call me by my name. Oh!! What? I am 40 plus? Lol and they just call me by my name? the kids? at first as if I was choked. I almost reprimand them but I then realize, hey!! this is not my country and this is how they were brought up. How would I let them know I don't like the way they call me? Well, believe me, I wrestled inside me for I am not comfortable that the kids will just call me by my name. But can I change their culture? haha.. I came to realize I can never do that. As the days go by I learn to accept the fact that I am no longer in my country where kids respect the old people. Kids in the Philippines will never called the older ones by their names but here in US it is normal for them to do that.

No comments: